Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Week 1 Storytelling: The World's Strongest Man

A very long time ago in a distant land across the ocean, there lived two best friends, Arnold and Hanz.  These two young boys were inseparable; they did everything together, from hunting to fishing to stealing food for each other just so they could eat. They ate the same meals, used the same bed, and even shared the same clothes together. The villagers would even say that they were two brothers born from different wombs. Where one boy would go, the other would quickly follow.

Now the boys grew up like this, with the strongest of loyalty and the best of friendships. Arnold matured into a kind and humble young man, while Hanz became known for his arrogant and competitive attitude, which on several occasions dragged Arnold and him both into many altercations. The two developed a reputation throughout the land for their physical prowess. And yet the two remained the best of friends, and throughout their many escapades together over the years, the boys grew to become exceedingly strong and resilient. So strong, in fact, that they garnered the attention of the nation’s king who was in search of a suitable partner for his beautiful daughter, Princess Hoze.

So when the day that beautiful Princess Hoze finally came to their lowly village to see her suitors, the two men who had shared everything growing up naturally imbued the same passion and desire for the princess.

“Whom in this village is the strongest, most resilient, and most powerful man,” the princess asked, “so that he might be my new prince?”

Instantly, Arnold and Hanz spoke up, “It is I!”

The two men shot a seething glance at each other, not realizing that their desire for the princess could drive them apart.

“Well then,” said Princess Hoze, “I declare we have a competition to determine who indeed is the strongest. Whomever can lift the most weight above his head shall be the champion!”

“I’ll go first!” shouted Hanz arrogantly, puffing his chest. He walked up to the bar tied with 500 bricks on both ends. He grabbed it, and giving a loud roar, hoisted the weight above his head. The crowd gave a loud applause, and the princess looked to be impressed.

“It’s my turn, then,” spoke Arnold softly. “Please double the amount of bricks on the bar so that I may prove to the beautiful princess I am truly the strongest man in the world.”

At this command, the crowd, Princess Hoze, and Hanz all gasped in amazement. “Double the weight?” they cried, “But that will certainly crush him!”

With confidence, Arnold walked up to the 2000-brick bar. He clenched the bar in his hands, and with a booming, bellowing yell, Arnold lifted the bar just barely above his head before letting the weight crash back down to the earth.

The crowd erupted with applause, and the princess seemed taken by the amazing feat. But Hanz, unrelenting in his pursuit of Princess Hoze, was determined to defeat his competition.

“Impressive brother, but I’ll surely prove I am the strongest!” Hanz said. “Double the weight!” he shouted. Despite everyone, including the princess and Arnold, objecting to the demand, Hanz had the weight doubled to 4000 bricks.

With the uneasy crowd watching, along with Arnold and Hoze, Hanz grabbed the bar. And with a thunderous yell, Hanz heaved the bar up to his shoulders. “He actually might do it!” the crowd gasped. 

Hanz lifted it just a little higher…

Then suddenly, under the enormous amount of weight, Hanz dropped the bar. And when it dropped, it fell on his neck, breaking it instantly. At this, Arnold sprinted over to his dear friend and wept, apologizing for letting his love for the princess kill his best friend.

After all of this, Princess Hoze finally spoke, saying “You are indeed the strongest man in the world. But I do not love you, Arnold. I must leave you to find a better suitor. Goodbye.”

THE END


Moral of the story: Bros before Hoze

The real moral of the story? Don’t try to do the impossible, especially for the sake of pride.





Author's Note:

The original story is one of Aesop's fable called "The Frogs and the Ox." In this story, an ox stops by a pond to drink and accidentally steps on a young frog, killing it. The other frogs who saw the incident tell the old frog what happened, describing the ox as a huge monster. The old frog then tries to puff herself up to try and get an idea of how big the ox was. The young frogs tell her that she isn't as big, to which she responds by puffing up more and more until she explodes.
The moral of the story was "Do not attempt the impossible."
When I read the fable, the frog puffing herself up gave me an image of that person who likes to work out too much and who doesn't believe that someone might be bigger than them. From there, I tried to write an entertaining story about how pride can cause people to attempt to be bigger than what they are. 


Bibliography:

"The Frogs and the Ox" by anonymous, from The Aesop for Children, with Pictures by Milo Winter (1919). Web source: Project Gutenberg

Photo Credit:
Stanislaus Zybszko (left) and Ike Robin shake hands before their 1926 fight in New Zealand. Unidentified photographer. Source: Wikipedia


6 comments:

  1. When I read the story I was intrigued. I had to know the end and then it didn't end like I expected it to. Which for me is always great because I love being kept on my toes. But then I read the author's note of the original fable and I was slightly confused and not as interested. I liked your story much better than I did the original fable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, your story is so well written and creative. I love the moral of the story- “bros before hoze”, very funny. I really enjoy the way you wrote your story and all the quotes you used to explain the characters. I maybe should have used more dialogue in mine. I look forward to reading more of your work as the semester goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story of Arnold and Hanz was a very interesting story. For one reason or another the two men reminded me of Hans and Franz from Saturday Night Live. Did you get your characters based on them? They sound very similar to one another. I had a good laugh when the first moral of the story was “Bros before Hoze.” I enjoyed reading your story much more than the original so great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! I literally laughed out loud when I saw you named the princes Hoze and tied it into the moral of the story. The way you wrote the beginning really showed the connection the two guys had with each other. I also liked that the princes was totally not into the remaining bro. I really enjoyed reading your take on the original idea.

    ReplyDelete

  5. I think you did a great job composing your story. Hanz and Arnold are very well developed characters and I think that you put in just the right amount of back-story into their relationship.

    There was a lot of variety in your sentence structure and I appreciate your word choice.

    I like how you chose the character's names and made a pun with the moral. The humor also takes away from the seriousness of the story. The guy broke his neck for pride—it’s a little brutal.

    Substituting people in place of animals in Aesop’s fables is a great way to reframe the stories. It also encourages the audience take the moral more seriously.

    If I could change anything, I might add a little more detail to Princess Hoze’s character. Does she reject Arnold because of his pride or would she have rejected both men?

    Overall I think you did a really great job and I don’t have any real critiques.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your moral to your story. I laughed so hard.
    I also like your writing style! It kept me engaged and interested throughout the entire story. Your words allowed me to see how close the two men really were and I felt for Arnold when his friend died. I also appreciate how you morphed the original story into this one. You took a creative approach and it really showed and payed off. Great job!

    ReplyDelete