Sunday, August 30, 2015

Growth Mindset Reaction

Although I've never heard of Carol Dweck or the Growth Mindset before, I have been able to put into practice much of what the growth mindset is about: a positive reaction to challenges. I have always enjoyed doing puzzles and solving riddles since I was a kid, and I remember getting such a huge rush from figuring out the right answer to the riddles or finding the perfect piece to a puzzle. So naturally, that sense of determination permeated into my school and sports life. However just because I was lucky enough as a kid to get a kick out of learning new things, doesn't mean there weren't others who struggled with any challenges they faced. The beauty of the Dweck's Growth Mindset is that it is an explicit plan for students so that those who never see problems as an new opportunity to learn are given the right tools to change their mindset.

College was definitely an awakening for me and how I viewed myself and the new challenges that were ahead of me. I knew I was smart, and I never had to study that much in high school so I thought college wouldn't be too difficult. But of course, I learned the hard way that it was much different than anything I've encountered. At first, I became so overwhelmed and anxious by the newness of the college life that I couldn't do anything, so I shut down. However, as time went on and I grew up a bit, I continued to learn how to cope with the problems that I faced. And after a while, I turned the stress of learning new things into a desire to look for the novelty and excitement that the challenges presented. This desire was part of my own personal Growth Mindset, and even though it took a couple years to develop, it has become one of the most important tools for my success in life so far.

And now that I know that there is such a distinct and direct focus on the development of this mindset in younger students, I'm eager to see how successful people can become! I know that I will continue to apply my growth mindset not just in school, but in my work, in my relationships with others, and in my own personal development.



(Image information: Simple yet profound quote. I learned this lesson the hard way.
 Source: Twitter and Memes Blog)




No comments:

Post a Comment